- 3 medium Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled, small dice
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and grated
- 1 yellow onion, small diced
- 1 large beet, peeled and grated
- 3 1/ 2 ounces dried kidney beans, soaked overnight and drained
- 5 1/ 3 ounces pickled cabbage
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Kosher salt
- 3 tablespoon vegetable oil
In a medium sauce pot, add in the vegetable stock, kidney beans and pickled cabbage. Simmer on medium heat until the beans are fully cooked, 20-30 minutes.
In a medium skillet, sauté the onions, carrots and beets separately to allow for even cooking. Cook the onions first. Once done, remove them the frying pan, then sauté carrots and beet separately.
Finally sauté all the vegetables together. Add tomato paste and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
By this time, beans should be just cooked. Add potatoes to the pot and cook until tender, 15-20 minutes.
Once potatoes are cooked, add the sautéed vegetables mix to the pot, mix and simmer for 5 min.
Season borscht with kosher salt to taste. Ladle into bowls, top with dill and non-dairy sour cream. Enjoy!